Today, we live in a world where it is enough to have internet and a debit card and you can buy whatever you want with a ‘click’. Well, this has not always been the case. Imagine living in a time when you had to make everything yourself and you couldn’t just depend on some new miracle mask to solve your skin problems. Our grandparents had to be pretty inventive when it came to their beauty regime. I looked around for some of the most interesting homemade beauty recipes from their time and I was not disappointed.
1. Pores minimizer – Where did people turn to when Vichy did not exist? I guess to the fridge because here is what they used to deep clean their pores. Scrambled egg yolk mixed with a lemon juice. You apply the concoction to the face on layers and enjoy the results.
2. For good skin – There is no need for a cream before bed. Just put some olive oil with equal parts lemon juice for ten minutes on the face. Then wash it out. Et voila – a fresh and moisturized skin.
3. Dry hands – I am pretty sure they did have some kind of a hand creams back then, but to be honest I would try this even now. You mix a teaspoon of olive oil with a teaspoon of sugar. The mixture is massaged on the hands. You wash them after that.
4. Exfoliant – I think body scrub was not that popular back in the time, but coffee always was. And since it was a luxury they just had to use it all. It makes for an amazing exfoliant and to be honest I still use this recipe to this day. Left off coffee, mixed with olive oil and brown sugar – perfect body scrub. Just keep in mind it stains the tub.
5. Under eyes area – There is no way you haven’t heard about the raw potato trick. You shred it finely and add some parsley. The mixture is used under the eyes for 10 minutes.
Well, here you go! Some of the beauty trick our grandmothers used. Honestly I see some of them that can still work very well today. Why not try it?